30 Years Shelf-Life Survival Soup (In A Jar)
The Importance of Long Shelf-Life Foods
In these uncertain times, it is essential to be prepared for any situation that may arise. As preppers, we understand the value of having long shelf-life foods on hand that can provide sustenance for our families even during the most challenging times. One such food that offers both nutrition and longevity is survival soup.
Survival soup is a hearty and nutritious meal that can be made from simple ingredients and stored for up to 30 years. This is made possible through the use of canning techniques that lock in the freshness and flavor of the ingredients while preserving them for an extended period. In this blog post, we will discuss how you can prepare and store survival soup in a jar, ensuring that you have a delicious and comforting meal available to you and your loved ones for years to come.
Choosing the Right Ingredients
When it comes to creating a survival soup with a long shelf-life, it is imperative to choose the right ingredients. Opt for ingredients that are sturdy, have a long shelf-life, and can withstand the canning process without losing their taste and nutritional value. Here are some essential ingredients to consider for your survival soup:
Dried Beans and Legumes:
- Black beans
- Pinto beans
- Bay leaves
- Garlic powder
The Canning Process
To create a 30-year shelf-life survival soup, you will need to follow a canning process that ensures the proper preservation of the ingredients. Here are the steps to canning survival soup in a jar:
- Prepare your ingredients by thoroughly cleaning and chopping the vegetables.
- Combine your chosen ingredients in a large pot and add water or broth to cover them.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and allow the soup to cool.
- Once the soup has cooled, ladle it into sterilized jars, leaving about an inch of headspace at the top.
- Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean towel to ensure a proper seal.
- Place the lids on the jars and screw on the bands until they are finger-tight.
- Process the jars in a pressure canner according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- After the processing time is complete, remove the jars from the canner and allow them to cool.
- Check the seals on the jars to ensure they are tightly sealed. If any jars did not seal properly, refrigerate and consume them within a few days.
Storing Your Survival Soup
Proper storage is crucial for maintaining the long shelf-life of your survival soup. Ideally, the jars should be stored in a cool, dark place such as a pantry or a basement. Avoid areas that are prone to drastic temperature fluctuations, as this can affect the quality and longevity of the soup. With proper storage, your survival soup should remain safe to consume for up to 30 years.
My 2 Cents
As a prepper, having long shelf-life foods like survival soup in your pantry can provide peace of mind and a sense of security. By following the canning process outlined in this article, you can create a delicious and nutritious meal that will last for decades. Make sure to rotate your supply periodically to ensure freshness and try experimenting with different ingredients to create a variety of flavors. In uncertain times, being prepared is the best defense, and survival soup is an excellent addition to your emergency food supply. Stay safe, stay prepared, and enjoy the comfort of a warm bowl of soup even in the most challenging times.