Refrigerator Candied Jalapeños (aka Cowboy Candy) – The Perfect Way To Preserve Without Canning!
Preserving food is an essential skill for any prepper or self-sufficient individual. Canning is a popular method, but it can be time-consuming and requires specialized equipment. However, there is a delicious and easy alternative – refrigerator candied jalapeños, also known as cowboy candy.
What are Refrigerator Candied Jalapeños?
Refrigerator candied jalapeños are a sweet and spicy treat made by preserving jalapeños in a sugar syrup. This process not only preserves the jalapeños but also transforms them into a flavorful condiment that can be used in various dishes.
Now that we know what refrigerator candied jalapeños are, let’s dive into the step-by-step recipe:
- 1 pound of fresh jalapeños
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of celery salt
- Wash the jalapeños thoroughly and slice them into rings, discarding the stems.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, turmeric, and celery salt. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the jalapeño slices to the saucepan and let them simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using tongs, transfer the jalapeño slices to clean glass jars, filling them up to about 1/2 inch from the top.
- Pour the syrup over the jalapeños, making sure to cover them completely.
- Let the jars cool to room temperature, then place them in the refrigerator.
- Allow the jalapeños to marinate in the syrup for at least 24 hours before consuming.
How to Use Refrigerator Candied Jalapeños
Refrigerator candied jalapeños are incredibly versatile and can be used in a variety of ways. Here are just a few ideas:
– Add them to sandwiches or hamburgers for a sweet and spicy kick.
– Use them as a topping for nachos or tacos.
– Blend them into a dip for a unique flavor twist.
– Chop them up and sprinkle them over pizzas or salads.
– Mix them into cream cheese or sour cream for an easy homemade spicy spread.
Why Refrigerator Candied Jalapeños?
Refrigerator candied jalapeños offer several advantages over traditional canning methods:
1. Quick and Easy: This recipe takes only a short amount of time to prepare, unlike the lengthy process of canning.
2. No Special Equipment: Unlike canning, you don’t need any specialized equipment such as a pressure canner or mason jars. Basic household items like saucepans and glass jars will do the trick.
3. Extended Shelf Life: While not as long-lasting as canned goods, refrigerator candied jalapeños can still last for several months in the fridge, allowing you to enjoy their deliciousness for longer.
My 2 Cents
If you’re looking to preserve jalapeños without the hassle of canning, refrigerator candied jalapeños are the way to go. Not only are they quick and easy to make, but they also add a delicious sweet and spicy twist to your dishes. Experiment with different spices and flavors to create your own signature cowboy candy. Remember, preserving food is a valuable skill, and refrigerator candied jalapeños are a great addition to your pantry.
So grab some jalapeños, follow the recipe, and enjoy the mouthwatering taste of homemade cowboy candy. Happy preserving!
Stay tuned for more survival tips and tricks on Prepper Website!