How To Make Pickled Red Onions – An Easy Recipe To Preserve Red Onions
Red onions are a delicious addition to many dishes, adding a tangy and slightly sweet flavor to salads, tacos, sandwiches, and more. But what happens when you have an abundance of red onions that you can’t use up fast enough? The answer is simple: pickle them! Pickling is a great way to preserve red onions and extend their shelf life. In this article, we will guide you through an easy recipe for making pickled red onions that you can enjoy for weeks to come.
To make pickled red onions, you will need the following ingredients:
– 2 large red onions
– 1 cup apple cider vinegar
– 1 cup water
– 2 tablespoons sugar
– 1 tablespoon salt
– Optional additions for flavor (such as peppercorns, garlic cloves, or herbs)
Now that you have all your ingredients ready, let’s dive into the step-by-step process of making pickled red onions:
Step 1: Prepare the red onions by peeling off the outer skin and cutting them into thin slices. You can use a sharp knife or a mandoline slicer for this task.
Step 2: In a small saucepan, combine the apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until the sugar and salt are fully dissolved.
Step 3: Place the sliced red onions in a glass jar or container. If desired, you can add in your optional flavor additions, such as peppercorns or garlic cloves.
Step 4: Carefully pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onions, making sure they are fully submerged. Use a spoon or a fork to press down on the onions and release any air bubbles.
Step 5: Let the pickled red onions cool to room temperature, then cover the jar or container with a tight-fitting lid or plastic wrap.
Step 6: Place the pickled red onions in the refrigerator and let them marinate for at least 1-2 hours before using. For the best flavor, allow them to pickle for 24 hours.
Tips for Perfect Pickled Red Onions
– Use fresh, firm red onions for the best results. Avoid using onions that are soft or have started to sprout.
– Feel free to experiment with different herbs, spices, or additional ingredients to customize the flavor of your pickled red onions. Some popular additions include dill, bay leaves, or chili flakes.
– Pickled red onions will last for several weeks in the refrigerator if stored properly. Make sure the jar or container is tightly sealed to prevent air from entering.
– If you prefer a milder flavor, you can blanch the sliced red onions in boiling water for 30 seconds before pickling them. This will help reduce the sharpness of the onions.
Creative Ways to Use Pickled Red Onions
Now that you have a jar full of delicious pickled red onions, it’s time to put them to good use! Here are a few creative ideas for incorporating pickled red onions into your meals:
– Tacos: Add a pop of flavor to your tacos by topping them with pickled red onions. They pair perfectly with grilled meats, fish, or even vegetarian fillings.
– Salads: Sprinkle some pickled red onions on top of your favorite green salad for an extra burst of tanginess. They also work well in grain salads or pasta salads.
– Sandwiches and Burgers: Upgrade your sandwiches and burgers by adding pickled red onions. They bring a tangy crunch that complements the other ingredients.
– Pizza: Yes, pickled red onions on pizza! Trust us, they are a game-changer. Try them on a homemade pizza with goat cheese and arugula.
– Charcuterie and Cheese Boards: Pickled red onions are a great addition to any charcuterie or cheese board. They cut through the richness of cured meats and cheeses, creating a balance of flavors.
My 2 Cents
Pickling is not only a great way to preserve red onions but also a fantastic method of adding flavor to various dishes. The tangy and sweet notes of pickled red onions can elevate even the simplest meals. Plus, pickling is a simple process that requires just a few ingredients and minimal effort.
When making pickled red onions, don’t be afraid to get creative. Experiment with different herbs, spices, or even types of vinegar to customize the flavor to your liking. The possibilities are endless!
So, the next time you find yourself with an excess of red onions, don’t let them go to waste. Whip up a batch of pickled red onions and discover a delicious condiment that will enhance your meals. Enjoy!