How To Keep Flies Out Of Your House This Fall – The Simple Secrets To Stopping Flies!
Fall is a wonderful time of year, with the leaves changing colors and the temperature dropping. But along with the beauty of the season, comes the pesky problem of flies invading our homes. Flies can be a nuisance, buzzing around and landing on our food, spreading bacteria and disease. Fortunately, there are simple secrets to keeping flies out of your house this fall. In this article, we will share some effective methods to help you keep your home fly-free.
1. Seal Entry Points
The first step to keeping flies out of your house is by sealing off their entry points. Flies can squeeze through even the tiniest gaps and cracks, so it’s important to inspect your house for any possible entry points. Here are some areas to check:
- Windows and doors: Install tight-fitting screens on all windows and doors to prevent flies from entering.
- Cracks and gaps: Seal any cracks or gaps in your walls, floors, and foundation using caulk or weatherstripping.
- Pipes and vents: Use mesh or screens to cover any openings where pipes or vents enter your home.
2. Keep Your House Clean
Flies are attracted to food and garbage, so keeping your house clean is crucial in preventing their infestation. Here are some tips:
- Wipe down countertops and tables regularly to remove any food residue.
- Store food securely in airtight containers.
- Take out the trash regularly and keep garbage cans tightly sealed.
- Do not leave dirty dishes in the sink for too long.
- Clean up any spills or crumbs immediately.
3. Remove Standing Water
Flies are also attracted to standing water, as it provides them with a breeding ground. Here’s what you can do:
- Check your house for any areas where water might accumulate, such as flower pots, birdbaths, or clogged gutters.
- Remove any standing water and make sure these areas stay dry.
- Ensure that your drains are free of blockages to prevent water from pooling.
4. Use Fly Traps
If flies manage to enter your house despite your best efforts, you can use fly traps to catch them. There are different types of fly traps available, including sticky traps, electric traps, and bait traps. Choose a method that suits your needs and place the traps in areas where flies are commonly seen.
5. Make Your Own Natural Repellents
If you prefer natural methods, you can make your own fly repellents using ingredients commonly found in your kitchen. Here are a couple of recipes:
Apple Cider Vinegar Trap
Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and dish soap in a bowl. The fruity scent of the vinegar will attract the flies, and the dish soap will trap them when they land in the mixture.
Lemon and Clove Repellent
Cut a lemon into halves and insert cloves into the flesh. Place the lemon halves around your house, particularly near doors and windows. Flies are repelled by the scent of lemon and cloves.
My 2 Cents
Keeping flies out of your house can be a challenge, but with these simple secrets, you can minimize their presence and enjoy a fly-free fall. Remember to seal entry points, keep your house clean, remove standing water, use fly traps, and make your own natural repellents. By incorporating these methods into your routine, you can effectively keep flies at bay and create a more pleasant living environment for you and your family. Happy fly-proofing!