Beautiful Bugs & DIY Wheels: Homemade Bug Out Vehicles, and How To Build Yours
Being prepared for anything is the motto of every true survivalist. When it comes to bug out scenarios, having a reliable means of transportation can be a game-changer. While there are plenty of options out there, sometimes the best bug out vehicle is the one you build yourself. In this article, we will explore the world of homemade bug out vehicles and provide you with some expert tips on how to build yours.
Why Build Your Own Bug Out Vehicle?
There are several reasons why building your own bug out vehicle is a great idea:
1. Cost-effectiveness: Building your own bug out vehicle can save you a significant amount of money compared to buying a pre-made one.
2. Customization: By building your own bug out vehicle, you can customize it to fit your specific needs and preferences. From adding extra storage space to installing special features, the possibilities are endless.
3. Bonding experience: Building a bug out vehicle can be a great way to bond with family and friends. It can become a fun and rewarding project that everyone can take part in.
Choosing the Right Vehicle
When it comes to choosing the right vehicle for your bug out vehicle project, there are a few key factors to consider:
1. Reliability: A bug out vehicle needs to be reliable. Look for a vehicle with a proven track record of durability and longevity.
2. Off-road capability: Your bug out vehicle should be able to handle off-road terrains with ease. Look for vehicles with four-wheel drive and good ground clearance.
3. Fuel efficiency: In a bug out scenario, fuel may become scarce. Choose a vehicle that is fuel efficient to maximize your chances of reaching your destination.
4. Storage space: The amount of storage space in your bug out vehicle is crucial. Look for vehicles with ample cargo capacity or consider installing storage solutions like roof racks or cargo drawers.
Modifications and Upgrades
Once you have chosen your base vehicle, it’s time to think about the modifications and upgrades that will turn it into a fully functional bug out vehicle. Here are some ideas to consider:
1. Reinforced exterior: Strengthen the exterior of your vehicle with brush guards, skid plates, and rock sliders to protect it from rough terrains and potential collisions.
2. All-terrain tires: Swap out the stock tires for all-terrain tires that provide better traction on various surfaces.
3. Suspension upgrades: Upgrading the suspension system can improve your vehicle’s off-road capabilities and handling.
4. Auxiliary lighting: Install additional off-road lights to improve visibility during nighttime travel or off-road excursions.
5. Roof rack: Adding a roof rack provides extra storage space for bulky and oversized items.
6. Portable power source: Install a solar power system or a portable generator to ensure a reliable source of electricity in the wild.
Essential Bug Out Vehicle Gear
In addition to the modifications and upgrades, it’s important to have the right gear in your bug out vehicle. Here are some essentials to consider:
1. Basic tools: A well-stocked toolbox with essential tools is a must-have in any bug out vehicle. Include items like a multi-tool, wrenches, pliers, and a tire repair kit.
2. First aid kit: Prepare a comprehensive first aid kit that includes bandages, antiseptics, painkillers, and any necessary prescription medications.
3. Food and water: Pack non-perishable food items and a sufficient supply of drinking water to sustain you for at least 72 hours.
4. Communication devices: Include a two-way radio or a satellite phone for emergency communication when regular communication networks are unavailable.
5. Emergency shelter: Carry a lightweight tent or a durable tarp to provide shelter in case you need to camp out in the open.
6. Navigation tools: Have a reliable map, compass, and a GPS device to aid in navigation.
My 2 Cents
Building your own bug out vehicle can be a rewarding and practical project for any survivalist. By starting with the right base vehicle and making the necessary modifications and upgrades, you can create a reliable and customized bug out vehicle that fits your needs. Don’t forget to equip your bug out vehicle with essential gear, such as tools, first aid kits, and emergency supplies. Remember, being prepared is the key to survival, and having a homemade bug out vehicle can greatly increase your chances of survival in any emergency situation.